The University of Oxford is not a campus university and the independently founded colleges are located throughout the city of Oxford, rather than on one central site. Each constituent college has its own administration and rules for the admittance of both students and visitors.
Christ Church is both Oxford University's largest College and the Cathedral Church for the Anglican Diocese of Oxford. Christ Church is a working academic and religious institution and some areas, including the Hall and the Cathedral, are closed at certain times of the day, occasionally without notice.
Founded in 1683, the Ashmolean is the most important museum of art and archaeology in the heart of Britain. The collections span the civilisations of east and west, charting the aspirations of mankind from the Neolithic era to the present day.
Magdalen welcomes visitors throughout the year and the College is accessible at regular times of the day with particular facilities open for you to see. The principal areas of the College that are normally open are the Hall, Chapel and Old Kitchen Bar.
Worcester College was founded in 1714, but there has been an institution of learning on the site since the late 13th century. Its predecessor, Gloucester College, was founded in 1283 by the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter at Gloucester as a place of study for 13 monks.
St Mary's is situated at the historic heart of the City and University of Oxford, with entrances both from the High Street and from Radcliffe Square. It is a lively church in the liberal catholic tradition of the Church of England.
The Bodleian Library is a working library which forms part of the University of Oxford. It is housed in a remarkable group of buildings which form the historic heart of the University and you can explore the quadrangles of these magnificent structures at no charge.
The 'College of the souls of all the faithful departed', commonly called All Souls College, was planned, built, and endowed in the 1430s by Henry Chichele, long-serving Archbishop of Canterbury. It received its foundation charter in 1438 from King Henry VI, co-opted by the Archbishop as the College's co-founder.
St John's was founded in 1555 by Sir Thomas White, a wealthy London merchant. White was Master of the Merchant Taylors' Company, and established a number of educational foundations including the Merchant Taylors' schools.
A castle with a prison at its heart, the site has been a place of incarceration since 1071, continuing until the closure of Her Majesty’s Prison Oxford in 1996. Oxford Preservation Trust were awarded a £3.8 million grant by the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore the castle and buildings for future generations.
Founded in 1263, Balliol is one of Oxford’s oldest colleges; the oldest academic institution in the English-speaking world still on its original site; and almost certainly the oldest co-founded by a woman anywhere.
Founded in 1610 by Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham, the College now comprises up to 200 graduate students and some 450 undergraduates. Wadham’s architectural heritage spans a variety of building styles from the classical Oxford Gothic of the original buildings to the contemporary lines of the new Graduate Centre.
The Sheldonian Theatre, an exquisite Grade I listed building is the official ceremonial hall of the University of Oxford. Some of the ceremonial activities that take place in the Theatre include matriculation and graduation ceremonies. The Theatre is open to the public to visit when not in use.
The tower of St Michael's is probably the oldest surviving building in Oxford, dating from about 1050 and rivalled only by the castle tower. Situated just within the old North Gate of the city and protected to the north by the city wall.
The Botanic Garden was founded in 1621 with a mission "To promote the furtherance of learning and to glorify nature". In the almost 400 years since then, the Garden continues to educate as many people as possible about the importance of plants and to help conserve plants around the world.