The River Cam flows through the heart of Cambridge and after the University is the city's main attraction. Punting on the River is a must do for visitors and the quantity of touts plying for trade in the summer can prove overwhelming. The River can be split into three - north (downstream), the Backs and south (upstream).
The University of Cambridge is not a campus university and the independently founded colleges are located throughout the city of Cambridge, rather than on one central site. Each constituent college has its own administration and rules for the admittance of both students and visitors.
Trinity Hall was founded by Bishop Bateman of Norwich in 1350, making it the fifth oldest surviving College of the University of Cambridge. Bishop Bateman originally founded the College to promote the study of canon and civil law. To this day, the College maintains a very strong tradition in the study of Law.
The Fitzwilliam Museum has been described as 'one of the greatest art collections of the nation and a monument of the first importance'. Collections include the Ancient World, Applied Arts (including pottery, porcelain, glass, textiles, furniture, clocks and watches), Paintings, Manuscripts, Books and Coins.
King's College was founded in 1441 by Henry VI (1421-71) and is one of the 31 colleges in the University of Cambridge. King's has an outstanding academic record and is also world-famous for its Chapel and choir. The grounds and Chapel only are open to visitors.
Great St Mary’s is an Anglican church and has maintained its witness to the faith of Christ for many centuries. It has carried out this mission in many ways as a parish church in the diocese of Ely, as the Church of the University of Cambridge, as a place of prayer and celebration for all the citizens of Cambridge.
Christ's College was first established as God's House in 1437 by William Byngham, a London parish priest, for training grammar school masters. Shortly after receiving its Royal Licence from Henry VI in 1446, God's House was forced to move from its original site as this was needed for the King's new project, King's College.
Pembroke College, founded in 1347 by Marie de St Pol, Countess of Pembroke, is proud of its traditions. The third oldest of the Cambridge colleges, it was the first to have its own Chapel, and in the stained glass windows there and in the recently renovated Library is evidence of the way they make light of that history.
The museum houses an extensive collection of scientifically important zoological material designated as being of outstanding national and international significance by the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council. Closed for refurbishment until March 2018.
Situated to the north of the city centre, Jesus Green is bordered by the River Cam, Victoria Avenue and Jesus College. Divided by avenues of London Plane and horse chestnut trees, it is primarily an area of open parkland grass, offering informal and formal outdoor sports and riverbank walks.
Peterhouse is the oldest of the Cambridge colleges, founded by Hugo de Balsham, Bishop of Ely in 1284 and granted its charter by King Edward I. It remains the smallest college within the University in terms of number of Fellows and students.
Queens' College, with its idyllic setting on the River Cam and its famous Mathematical Bridge, is one of Cambridge's oldest, largest and most recognisable colleges. The College is open to the public and visitors are welcome.
The Polar Museum at the Scott Polar Research Institute holds a unique collection of artefacts, journals, paintings, photographs, clothing equipment, maps and other materials illustrating polar exploration, history and science.
Trinity College was founded by Henry VIII in 1546 as part of the University of Cambridge. Since then Trinity has flourished and grown, and is now a home to around 600 undergraduates, 300 graduates, and over 160 Fellows.
Caius is the fourth oldest surviving College in the University of Cambridge. The College was first founded as Gonville Hall by Edmund Gonville, Rector of Terrington St Clement in Norfolk, in 1348, and refounded in 1557 by John Caius as Gonville and Caius College.