Historic Properties: Inner City (Jewellery Quarter)
JW Evans Silver Factory
54-57 Albion Street, Birmingham. B1 3EA • 0370 333 1181
Established in 1881, J. W. Evans is one of the most complete surviving historic factories in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter. To walk into the factory today is to enter a lost industrial world. Behind the frontage of four terraced houses, the workshops retain their original drop stamps and fly presses.
They are packed with thousands of dies for the manufacture of silverware, as well as the whole of the working equipment, stock and records of the business. Tours of J. W. Evans are available on a set number of days only. The size of the property means these are limited to ten people per tour, and must be booked in advance.
English Heritage stepped in to rescue J. W. Evans Silver Factory in 2008. With the completion of the repairs programme, the site opened to the public in summer 2011.
No easily accessible wifi. No smoking.
Entrance to J.W. Evans Silver Factory is by pre-booked tours which take place on selected dates only. Please see the website for full details.
Advance booking required.
Located north west of the city centre in The Jewellery Quarter between Frederick Street and Tenby Street.
St Paul's Midland Metro tram stop: Ten minutes walk.
Free parking available nearby.
This film follows each step in the production of a typical product - a Chippendale-pattern candlestick, first produced in 1914. It was largely filmed on site at the former J.W. Evans silverware factory, in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.
JW Evans Silver Factory, 54-57 Albion Street, Birmingham. B1 3EA • 0370 333 1181
Attraction Operator: English Heritage
Last Updated Monday 2 March 2020
Please Sign in to send us your comments.