Places of Worship: Suburbs (West Cardiff)
Cathedral Close, Llandaff, Cardiff. CF5 2LA • (029) 2056 4554
The Cathedral Church of SS Peter & Paul, Dyfrig, Teilo and Euddogwy is the mother church of the Diocese of Llandaff and is the seat of the Bishop of Llandaff. The Cathedral lies close to the bank of the River Taff in the ancient 'City' of Llandaff much of which is now a conservation area.
Llandaff Cathedral stands on one of the oldest Christian sites in Britain. In the sixth century St Dyfrig founded a community close to the ford where the Roman road crossed the river Taff. He was succeeded by St Teilo and then Teilo's nephew, St Euddogwy. These three Celtic Saints remain patron saints of the present Cathedral and are represented by the three mitres in the Cathedral badge. Nothing remains of the original church but a Celtic Cross that stood nearby can still be seen near the door of the Chapter House.
The present cathedral dates from 1107 when Bishop Urban, the first Bishop appointed by the Normans, instigated the building of a much larger church. The arch behind the High Altar was built at that time and the doorway that now leads to the St David (or Welsh Regiment) Chapel may have been the West door of Urban's church until it was moved to its new site when the Cathedral was extended and widened and a new West front built about 1220. This West front is judged by many to be one of the two or three most notable mediaeval works of art in Wales.
A great deal of the 19th century work inside the Cathedral perished when the building was heavily damaged and the roof destroyed in the 1939-45 War. Its restoration was entrusted to George Pace who aimed at blending new work with what remained of the old and at giving the Cathedral a sense of spaciousness which it previously lacked. The High Altar was lowered and the triptych of the Seed of David by D G Rossetti which stood behind it was moved to a new position in the St Illtyd Chapel at the foot of the North West tower. Pace built the Welch Regiment Memorial Chapel but his greatest achievement is the reinforced concrete arch surmounted by Sir Jacob Epstein's aluminium statue of Christ in Majesty which stands between the Nave and the Choir and "breaks", without interrupting, the view of the whole building from the top of the steps inside the West door to Geoffrey Webb's Jesse window at the East end of the Lady Chapel.
No easily accessible wifi. No smoking.
Open 9am-6.30pm daily (please check the website for any late changes). Free admission.
Advance booking is not required.
Located north west of the city centre in the ancient 'City' of Llandaff.
Regular bus services to and from the city centre operate along Cardiff Road, Llandaff.
Free parking available nearby.
Llandaff Cathedral, Cathedral Close, Llandaff, Cardiff. CF5 2LA • (029) 2056 4554
Last Updated Friday 7 June 2019
Please Sign in to send us your comments.