Historic Properties: Suburbs (West Birmingham)
Alwold Road, Weoley Castle, Birmingham. B29 5RX • (0121) 348 8160
The ruins at Weoley Castle are over 700 years old and are the remains of the moated medieval manor house that once stood here. The site has been inhabited from the 12th century and, according to the Domesday Book, was part of the estates of William Fitz Ansculf.
Weoley changed hands several times between 1485 and 1531 when it began to fall into disrepair. In the centuries that followed, stone from the castle was removed to build a nearby farm and the Dudley No.2 canal. Today the site is a scheduled Ancient Monument of national importance.
Today Weoley Castle ruins provide a home for a rich collection of wildlife. The mixture of semi-natural woodland, grassland, scrub, hedgerows and deadwood provide ecological interest and habitat diversity.
Free Entry at Certain Times.
No easily accessible wifi. Designated smoking areas only.
Ruins can be viewed from the viewing platform which is open every day. Direct access to the ruins is available on event days only. It is free to view the ruins from the viewing platform, but there is usually a charge for events.
Advance booking is not required.
Located to the south west of Birmingham in Weoley Castle.
Bus service 27 operates from Birmingham Livery Street to Northfield via Weoley Castle. Alight at Bottetourt Road.
Free onsite parking available.
Weoley Castle was a fortified manor house built 750 years ago. The ruins are one of the oldest buildings still visible in Birmingham, and it is classified as a scheduled Ancient Monument of national importance.
Weoley Castle, Alwold Road, Weoley Castle, Birmingham. B29 5RX • (0121) 348 8160
Last Updated Monday 2 March 2020
Please Sign in to send us your comments.